For many of us, this weekend will be three days long instead of two. This Monday marks a federal holiday in remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and many of us will be taking advantage of the long weekend to travel, barely considering the true meaning behind our day off. The truth is, this weekend is the perfect weekend to teach our children about civil rights and the errors of our country’s past. There are plenty of events taking place around the country, memorializing Dr. King and celebrating the impact he had on America. Once again, Lydie has put together a great list featuring events from Alabama to Oakland. Here is a sampling of what she found:
- At the Bay Area Discovery Museum, kids can create a self portrait and add it to the Freedom Bus. There will also be story times with books read about Dr King’s life and values.
- The African American Museum of Iowa will offer free admission, refreshments, and crafts. Children can watch Dr. King movies, complete a “History Detectives” scavenger hunt through the galleries, or prepare for a “100 Acts of Kindness” Challenge.
- The Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site in Atlanta will be offering many different family friendly events during the week of January 15- 23 with everything from puppet shows to guided tours of his birth home. The complete schedule of events is listed on the National Park Service website.
- Hungry? Boloco, a certified green chain of restaurants in New England serving burritos, bowls, salads, and smoothies will be playing Martin Luther King’s iconic “I have a dream” speech on its television screens all day.
Read the entire list of Martin Luther King Day events and find something in your neck of the woods.
Do you have an outing that you would like to spotlight this week?
Perhaps its a post about a vacation you just took or a day trip that you think our readers should know about. Or maybe its a post about the vacation you are currently planning and going to book through Trekaroo! Link up something fresh from your blog using the Mr Linky below.
PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.
Step 1: Pick a recent post (past couple of days)
Step 2: Under “Name” write: “Title of your blog post (blog name)” – blog name in parenthesis
Under “url” paste: the link to your blog post (not your home page)
Step 3: Grab the Spotlight Thursday image and link to this post so your readers can see who else is playing along this week.
We want to be sure that everyone who participates in Spotlight Thursdays gets their moment in the spotlight so blogs that don’t link back will unfortunately have to be removed.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –