Some people like the heat. They love the sun blazing down on them as they absorb all of its marvelous heat. Others love the cold. They enjoy putting on a coat and taking brisk walks on snow covered trails while watching their breath form clouds in front of them. I am neither of those people. If I had it my way, it would be 75 every day. When I moved to Orange County from Northern California, friends often asked me if I missed having seasons. No, no I do not. If I want to experience a season, I will visit it while on vacation. But most of the time, even when I travel, I still want it to be 75 and sunny- which is why I love Palm Springs.
When most of the country is putting on six layers to leave the house, vacationers in Palm Springs are putting on flip flops and a sundress. In Palm Springs, I can forget that winter even exists as I lay by the pool and watch my kids splash the day away. My family can strap on hiking boots and and explore palm studded canyons without worry of frostbite. We can enjoy an alfresco dinner downtown without having to wear mittens. And if I get that sudden urge to visit winter, we can simply hop on the Palm Springs Aerial Tram, climb up to 8500 feet, throw snowballs at my kids for a couple hours, then head back down to the warmth of the Coachella Valley. Sounds pretty nice doesn’t it?
Many people who haven’t visited the area may not realize just how much there is for families to do in Palm Springs. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Desert Adventures take guests on fun and educational trips through the desert in their signature red jeeps. My family’s tour with Desert Adventures of the San Andreas Fault still ranks as one of my most favorite travel experiences. You can read about more in this blog post dedicated to our desert adventure. This past weekend we took a tour with them of Indian Canyons and once again were blown away by the tour. Every member of our family had a great time and we learned so much. If I had to recommend one thing to do in the Palm Springs area, it would be to take a tour with Desert Adventures.
- Airplane aficionados and history buffs won’t want to miss the Palm Springs Air Museum, home to the largest collection of WWII aircraft that are still in flying condition. Families can climb inside an actual WWII airplane and kids will love the special children’s area with airplane themed crafts and cockpits for them to climb in.
- Did you know that there was a zoo in the desert? The Living Desert is a beautifully landscaped zoo featuring animals around the world that call the desert their home. Visitors can see animals such as big horned sheep, cheetahs, snakes, and giraffes at this world class zoological garden and enjoy camel rides, an endangered species carousel, and even an expansive model train exhibit. One thing I didn’t expect was just how much local wildlife we would encounter roaming about the zoo, including road runners and lizards.
- Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is the largest rotating aerial tramway in the world and has been taking visitors up steep Mt. San Jacinto, one of North America’s sheerest mountain faces, since it opened in 1963. Temperatures up top can be 40 degrees cooler than those on the valley floor and the mountain hiking opportunities are plentiful during the summer months. Winter brings snow, an exciting treat after a couple days poolside.
- There are actually springs surrounded by palm trees in Palm Springs- it is not just a clever name! Indian Canyons, owned by the Agua Caliente Cahuilla tribe, offer great hiking opportunities. Palm Canyon is home to the largest fan palm oasis in the world, with dozens of palm trees lining a spring fed creek, creating a shady reprieve from the desert sun and an ideal spot for a picnic. Andreas Canyon offers a shaded one mile loop trail which is great for families who want a short hike and some exposure to to the desert palm oasis ecosystem. Murray Canyon features a series of seven small waterfalls, said to be a great spot for swimming!
If all these activities sound like experiences your family will enjoy, you will be excited to know that we have teamed up with Visit Palm Springs, Daytripping Mom and Rockin’ Mama to put together an exciting desert giveaway!
If you are not familiar with Daytripping Mom and Rockin’ Mama, then it is time you got in the know! Aracely at Daytripping Mom keeps families up to date with the latest happenings around Southern California and always seems to be giving away something fun! Caryn at Rockin’ Mama is a woman on the go who takes her readers along for the ride with her posts about fabulous movie premiers, products we should know about, yummy recipes, and so much more. She is an LA gal through and through, contributing to the local CBS website with her Southern California expertise. Both of these women are dedicated to sharing their family adventures with others in hopes of encouraging them to have their own, making them the perfect partners for our Palm Springs Family Getaway giveaway!
Win a trip for four to Palm Springs, CA including lodging and several great family friendly activities!
- Two nights at the Hyatt Regency Suites Palm Springs
- Desert jeep tour for four (2 adults, 2 children) with Desert Adventures
- Four pack of tickets (2 adults, 2children) for the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
- Four Pack of tickets to the Palm Springs Air Museum
- Four Pack of tickets to the Living Desert
- Entry for four to Indian Canyons
How to enter:
Entering to win is as easy as 1-2-3-4!
This palm tree lined giveaway will take you to four different stops. Each stop is another opportunity to enter to win!
Submit your first contest entry at Trekaroo’s Facebook page.
Then keep going and get more entries by following the link to Visit Palm Springs, Daytripping Mom, and Rockin’ Mama on Facebook.
Remember, to grab all 4 chances to win!
Rules and guidelines:
- 18 years of age or older
- US Residents only
- Lodging good for Sunday through Thursday stays only. Valid for one year after issuance.
Deadline to enter: Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 11:59PM PST
What is Monday Madness?
Every Monday, Trekaroo announces on our blog, either a fantastic giveaway or an incredible deal. It could be a green water bottle, a hotel stay on Maui or theme park tickets. Return every Monday to the Talking Trekaroo Blog for the details. Want a reminder? Become a Trekaroo member or follow us on facebook or twitter.