Winter is in full swing and for many families that means hitting the slopes at their favorite ski resort. Don’t know how to ski? Well, there is no need to sit on the sidelines any longer. Pennsylvania is home to many family friendly ski resorts that would love to welcome you to one of their Learn to Ski programs.
The Pennsylvania Ski Area Association is a non-profit organization representing 21 of the best ski areas throughout the state. Member resorts are among the leaders in teaching both adults and kids how to ski and snowboard. Families will find experienced teachers, beginner terrain perfect for learning, and fabulous packages that include rental equipment, lift tickets, and a lesson. With so many resorts to choose from, all located within hours of the major cities in the East, your family will be sure to find one close to home! So what are you waiting for? Boot up and hit the slopes!
Tips for First Time Skiers:
Knowing what to expect when you go is half the battle. Be sure to check with the resort you will be visiting for directions, parking, and check-in instructions. Amenities will vary by resort as well so be sure to take the time to learn about locker storage, on-site restaurants, equipment rentals, and childcare options. Bring along ID and credit card for equipment rentals and any purchases you may need to make during your visit. Most importantly, dress properly. A few clothing tips:
- Dressing in layers allows you the option to add and remove layers as the weather changes.
- A water resistant outer layer is important to help keep you dry.
- Hats, especially ones that cover your ears, are important to keep you warm.
- Always wear eye protection in the form of goggles or sunglasses.
- Sunscreen isn’t just for summer! The sun glare off of the white snow can cause sunburn too so don’t forget to apply.
- Wear gloves or mittens but avoid knits since they get wet too easily.
Pennsylvania Ski Deals:
January is Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month in Pennsylvania. In honor of that, all of the PSAA member resorts are offering additional discounts to their already low mid-week Learn a Snow Sport Packages. Visit the PSAA website to print a $5 discount coupon good throughout the month of January. These packages include a first ski lesson, rental equipment, either skis or a snowboard and a lift ticket for use on any of the beginner areas.
The Steal: Enter to Win 6 Learn to Ski Packages
DETAILS: One lucky winner will receive six (6) Learn to Ski Packages. Each package is inclusive of rental equipment, ski lesson, and ski lift passes. The winner can choose to redeem these packages at one of the following four great ski resorts:
- Whitetail Resort, located in Mercerberg, PA, is approximately 3 hours from Philadelphia and 3 hours from Pittsburgh.
- Bear Creek Mountain, located in Macungie, PA, is just over an hour from Philadelphia.
- Shawnee Mountain, located in the scenic Pocono Mountains in East Stroudsburg, PA, is just 2 hours from Philadelphia and 1 ½ hours from New York City.
- Blue Mountain, located in Palmerton, PA, is less than 90 minutes from Philadelphia and New York City.
- The prize is non-transferable
- No cash value
Rules and Guidelines:
- No purchase necessary
- One raffle winner will be selected
- Winners will be selected randomly and your chances of winning are based on the number of entry points you acquired against the total number of entries for this giveaway.
- 18 years of age and older
- US and Canada residents only, excluding residents of the Provence of Quebec.
- Winner will be notified via the email provided and must respond to the notification to confirm their prize within the time specified in the email. (Usually 3 days)
- After the winner has been confirmed, the winner will be announced on this blog post.
Entry Period: January 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM PST to January 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM PST.
Special thanks our sponsor:
PSAA represents 21 ski areas in Pennsylvania. Their member resorts are leaders in teaching adults and children how to ski and snowboard and are within hours of many of the largest cities in the East offering great learning terrain and certified teachers.
What is Monday Madness?
On select special Mondays, Trekaroo announces on our blog, either a fantastic giveaway or an incredible deal. It could be a green water bottle, a hotel stay on Maui or theme park tickets. Return every Monday to the Talking Trekaroo Blog for the details. Want a reminder? Become a Trekaroo member or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.