The small island of Coronado is only a tall-bridge-drive away from downtown San Diego but it might as well be hours away for its laid-back, beach-town feel that locals and visitors enjoy. The sandy shore of Coronado Beach has been voted as one of the best beaches in the world because of the glistening sand, beautiful views, and calm waves. A beach vacation in Coronado also means a 30-minute drive to family favorites in San Diego such as SeaWorld, the USS Midway, and more.
Hotel del Coronado
Right on the sands of Coronado Beach sits the iconic and historic Hotel del Coronado. This grand hotel can be easily recognized with its peaked red roofs and Victorian architecture. Vacationers, including many mega celebrities, have been flocking to this seaside resort since 1888. This summer starting May 1, the Hotel del Coronado is making its spectacular beach even more fun for families with a new waterfront set-up boasting both activities for kids and elements that parents will love. Some fun options include a kid’s play area on the beach with a wooden boat and sand toys, nightly family s’mores in the sand, dive-in movies at the pool, and beachfront recreation including: biking, boating, surfing, yoga, and more. Guests and locals can also rent cushioned chaise lounges and terry covers with large fringed sun umbrellas, cabanas, and plush daybeds with food and beverage service including mai tais and margaritas on the sand.
Read kid friendly (and parent approved) reviews of the Hotel del Coronado.
While staying on Coronado Island, be sure to enjoy all the best of this laid back California beach town. Families will love biking the flat streets of the island. You can ride from the beach near the Hotel del to the Coronado Ferry Landing and along the way you’ll pass stunning and quaint houses, beautiful gardens, and family friendly parks on the numerous side streets that line the small island. Conveniently, you can rent your bikes directly from PeDels located at the Hotel del Coronado. If you’ve been itching to try your balance and determination while stand-up-paddleboarding, Coronado is the perfect place to start. Seaforth Boat Rentals at the Coronado Boathouse, located just across the main street from the Hotel Del on the calm waters of Coronado’s boating harbor, gives newbies the chance to explore the sport in the calmest of water environments; lessons are also available.
Greater San Diego Activities
Just a short drive away from the Hotel del sits San Diego and its amazing assortment of kid-friendly activities. From touching sharks at the new Explorer’s Reef exhibit at the world-famous SeaWorld San Diego to taking a tour on the USS Midway (which is easily accessed from the San Diego/Coronado Ferry), the world’s most visited ship museum. When you return to Coronado, be sure to stop at the Coronado Ferry Landing for some shopping and to grab a bite to eat at Lil’ Piggy’s Bar-B-Q, serving up finger-licking, Memphis-style BBQ.
Ready for more family fun? Explore our Top 10 Things to Do in San Diego with your Kids!
The Steal: Win a Beach Vacation on Coronado Island
The winning family will receive:
- Two-night stay at the Hotel del Coronado
- Four Wheel Fun Bicycle Rentals at PeDels/Hotel del Coronado
- Standup Paddle Board lesson for four from Seaforth Boat Rentals at the Coronado Boathouse
- Dinner for four at Lil’ Piggy’s Bar-B-Q at the Coronado Ferry Landing
- Four tickets to SeaWorld San Diego
- Four tickets to the USS Midway
- The prize is non-transferable.
- Accommodations will be based on space availability.
- Hotel del Coronado stay valid anytime except July, August ,or holidays; not valid at Beach Village.
- 4 Wheel Fun Rentals valid anytime except holidays and holiday weekends.
- Standup Paddle Board lesson from Seaforth Boat Rentals valid anytime except holidays and weekends in July-August.
- No cash value.
- Does not include airfare or airport transfer.
Total Giveaway Value: $1700 Rules and Guidelines:
- No purchase necessary
- One raffle winner will be selected
- Winners will be selected randomly and your chances of winning are based on the number of entry points you acquired against the total number of entries for this giveaway.
- 18 years of age and older
- US and Canada residents only, excluding residents of the Provence of Quebec.
- Winner will be notified via the email provided and must respond to the notification to confirm their prize within the time specified in the email. (Usually 3 days)
- After the winner has been confirmed, the winner will be announced on this blog post.
Entry Period: Monday, May 12th, 2014 at 12:01 AM PST to Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM PST. Special thanks our sponsor: www.VisitCoronado.org What is Monday Madness? On select special Mondays, Trekaroo announces on our blog, either a fantastic giveaway or an incredible deal. It could be a green water bottle, a hotel stay on Maui or theme park tickets. Return every Monday to the Talking Trekaroo Blog for the details. Want a reminder? Become a Trekaroo member or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.