I hate pick pockets. Ever since my purse was stolen out of my cart in a Home Depot about a decade ago, I have become dedicated to never being a victim again. Last summer we visited Rome, one of the pickpocket capitals of Europe, and I was a nervous wreck the entire time. My fear of pick pockets actually took away from my enjoyment of the city. This year, my husband and I decided to visit Barcelona, the number one pick pocket spot in all of Europe. I knew I needed to find something that I could comfortably carry which actually protected my things, especially my identification, phone, and cash. The Rotation180° Travel Away 22L Backpack was designed to do just that.
- Rotating beltpack with room for several passports, money, a couple iPhones, and more. A point and shoot camera would fit as well. The beltpack is essentially the size of a fanny pack and rotates in and out of an internal compartment in the backpack. It is secured with an easy to use magnetic clip.
- Two belt-wing pockets with zippers.
- Front pocket with sleeves for a 15″ laptop and iPad. Large internal mesh zipper pocket.
- Back pocket with plenty of room for a DSLR camera and a sweatshirt.
- Two elasticized water bottle pockets.
- Padded back and shoulder straps with breathable mesh.
- Retail price is $199.99.
- The roomy beltpack made it virtually impossible for pickpockets to access our money, phones, and documents. It was very convenient to rotate and access everything we needed quickly in the airport and while exploring the city.
- Laptop and iPad sleeves were very convenient and well-sized, making it a nice “personal item” for the airplane.
- A separate compartment was a nice size for my DSLR camera. It was easy for me to access things in that compartment without having to fumble around. It also had plenty of room for my sweatshirt which I stored on top of my camera.
- The padding on the backpack helped with comfort. The breathable mesh material reduced sweating on hot, 90 degree days. The backpack straps were easy to adjust.
- The little zipper pull strings were long enough for me to tie shut for extra security.
- Fabric is durable and easy to clean.
- The two belt-wing pockets were a bit bulky. I could have done without them.
- The pack seemed a bit small for my 6’5″ husband. I think it is designed to fit an average-sized adult. I am 5’10” and it fit me perfectly.
I have used this backpack on several occasions now, including in pick pocket-filled cities like Lisbon and Barcelona, and I feel very confident that my important items are secure. While on a tour in Lisbon, a pickpocket attempted to break into the backpack of someone in our party but skipped our pack entirely because it doesn’t lend itself to being an easy target. The pack held everything I needed on our long airplane ride and stored easily under my seat. It is easy to use and made me feel confident and comfortable while exploring major cities in Europe. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a secure and comfortable day pack.
Disclosure: I received this product from the brand so that I could write an unbiased review on behalf of Trekaroo. All opinions are my own.